2014 IES Regional Illumination Award
2014 IES National Merit
Beverley Shimmin, Lucrecia Blanco
This important civic landmark is located in the historic Pioneer Square district of Seattle. Built in 1906 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, it was purchased by the City of Seattle in 2008. It has weathered several renovations, including an energy retrofit in the 1970s that installed dropped acoustic ceilings with fluorescent troffers, concealing windows and ornate ceiling above. The design team’s goal was to restore the plaza and the interiors to its original glory. The dropped ceiling was removed, historical replication of the original fixtures were installed, and the exterior pedestrian standards were recreated.